‘Chaotic’ scenes as Liverpool Lime Street station closes early after Champions League final


‘Shambolic’ scenes show ‘hundreds’ of people stuck outside Liverpool Lime Street after staff closed the station early.

After the Champions League final match between Liverpool and Real Madrid, football fans attempted to return home, only to find Liverpool Lime Street closed.

This led to hundreds of people queuing outside the station, confused as to how events unfolded. Video shared with the Liverpool ECHO shows the Lime Street entrance closed with the security shutters down.

READ MORE: Liverpool fans forced to flee French police after Champions League final

The footage then films the crowds gathering outside the Crown Hotel. Ben Redwood, 24, from London, was one of the passengers affected by the Lime Street closure.

He told ECHO: “I was trying to travel from Lime St to Manchester Piccadilly. I arrived at 11pm with a ticket but was locked outside the station with hundreds of other people.

“Each police officer I spoke to told a different story so they didn’t know what was going on. The police told us to get a taxi to Manchester. However, there were no taxis or Ubers. advice. It was a mess.

‘Shambolic’ scenes at Liverpool Lime Street station

Another passenger said he was refused entry to the main concourse, causing him to miss his 11:45 p.m. train, when he arrived at 11:15 p.m. They said: ‘I spent £45 getting back to the hotel on the outskirts of town, what should have been a simple train journey turned into a wacky situation.’

Network Rail said its station manager had made the “difficult decision” to close the station at 11.12pm. The rail company told ECHO it was due to a ‘security issue’ due to a large crowd gathered outside.

Of the incident, National Rail said: ‘We are currently aware of safety concerns at Liverpool Lime Street due to the large number of people.

In a statement, British Transport Police said: “The BTP was called at 10.56pm on May 28 to Liverpool Lime Street Station following a report of overcrowding and disorder issues.

“Merseyside Police also assisted. A number of people were removed from the station grounds. An investigation into the incident is ongoing.”

ECHO has contacted Merseyside Police for comment.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and updates from ECHO Liverpool by signing up here

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.